From 27 to 30 October, parents at Steve Biko Primary School in Ext 2 staged a protest at the school gates, calling on the Department of Education to urgently replace the unsafe and unroadworthy buses transporting their children.
The frustrated parents, many from Drieziek 9, Tjovitjo, and surrounding areas, demanded action against the transport service provider, accusing it of putting their children’s lives at risk. They vowed to halt learning until their concerns were heard.
On 30 October, the Department of Education’s spokesperson, Steve Mabona, met with parents at Steve Biko Primary School to address the issue.
According to Charlotte a concerned parent, the situation has reached a dangerous point. She told Orange Farm News: “These buses have broken seats, worn-out floors, and holes where children can see the road passing underneath while the bus is moving. The doors don’t close properly, they are dirty, and some children are left stranded when buses break down. Educators often have to find ways to take the little ones home, while others walk long distances on busy roads. Some parents are at work and cannot fetch them – it’s heartbreaking, the list is long.”
“The school was promised six buses but only received two – both in poor condition. Buses are supposed to be safe, but ours are not. Our children’s lives are being put at risk every day. The JMPD has issued several warnings about the buses being unroadworthy, yet the service provider has taken no action. He hasn’t even met with parents to hear or address our concerns,” she said.
Parents say they have been raising these issues since 2022, but their pleas have fallen on deaf ears. “The Department of Education must intervene and replace the service provider. Our children’s safety comes first – not contracts and excuses,” added another parent.
Thabo Mnisi, the School Governing Body (SGB) chairperson, confirmed parents’ frustrations. “This started last week after children couldn’t get to school because the buses had no diesel. Parents are tired – they want the service provider changed because he does not care about the children’s safety.”
Charlotte added: “At the meeting, Mabona said the Department will appoint a temporary contractor to transport children while issues with the current one are being resolved. As parents, we’ll be happy if they bring buses that are roadworthy. At least from Monday, the children will be back at school – we just hope the buses will be there to fetch them.”
Orange Farm News reached out to Gauteng Department of Education spokesperson, Steve Mabona, and awaits his response.



















