Fire claims life of a woman in Drieziek 6

In the early hours of this morning, the City of Joburg Emergency Management Services (EMS) responded to a structural fire in Drieziek 6.

A home was gutted by flames causing an adult female to die of smoke inhalation while another adult and a toddler were transported to a nearby hospital. It is alleged that the deceased female fell asleep after switching on a two plate stove to warm herself.

Preliminary investigations conducted by Fire Safety officers confirmed the two plate stove as the cause of fire. It is during this season that Emergency Management Services record an increase in house fires and a high number of deaths caused by incorrect use of heating appliances.

As the temperatures continue to plummet, residents are urged to use heating appliances correctly and never leave heaters and stoves unattended.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *